A Running* List of the Things I Get Asked as an American by Spaniards

This is a running* list of the things I get asked most by the beautiful Spaniards in my life-the strangers on the street, my lovely friends, my students, and my coworkers.



1. "Where is North Carolina?"

2. "Wasn't North Carolina a Confederate state?"

3. "So how many slaves did your family own?"

4. "So how many slaves does your family own?"

5. "So how many guns do you own?"

6. "How big are the cars in USA?"

7. "Do you drive a truck?"

8. "What does -insert racial slur here- mean?"
      NOTE: They know perfectly well what it means.

9. "If you're half Mexican, why are you so white?"

10. "If you used to live at the beach, why are you so white?"

11. "Why are you so white?"

12. "Do you like the food?" / "What do you think of the food?" / "Do you like pulpo?" / "Have you tried pulpo?" / "HERE TRY SOME PULPO YOU'LL LIKE IT I SWEAR PLEASE LIKE THE PULPO"
      NOTE: Pulpo is actually pretty damn good.

13. "Do you like President Obama?"

14. "Can you point out the USA on a world map?"

15. "Does it rain like this where you are from?" / "Are you accustomed to the weather here yet?"

16.  "What do you do, exactly?"
        NOTE: This question is usually asked with a face that says, "What do you do, exactly, and why are my tax dollars paying for it?"

17. (In English, with a heavy Spanish accent) "Can you repeat, please?"



*And by "running," I mean "totally not running and I'm never going to update this let's be real"

Comments

Popular Posts